Asterix

*Be Sure to Click on the Link to See the VIDEO!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Taking Responsibility

Well, I purchased Led Zeppelin's least, and I mean least by millions of listener's favorite's albums recently at the Juke Box Shop on Anspach Blvd in Brussels, which specializes in psychedelic, soul, and "song's." The latter I have no idea what they mean, but they should also have classic rock on that list on their take-home plastic bag. Anyone need a good translator, copywriter???

That aside, this LP is incredible, and so sadly undervalued.

The cover art, and the fact that this was the turning and turning off point for so many people for Zeppelin is interesting. Similar to the saga of Rush and the album Signals, things just were never the same in the marriage of the fans and the band.

However, it is often the dustbins of our relationships that we find what is most interesting, and unfortunately for many, the least likely to be talked about unless tossed out there on the floor  with an extended dust pan in one hand and broom in the other and go, "what the hell is that?" And, either you can sweep it under the rug, or you can deal with it and actually talk it through. A novel idea for the modern world and an idea for a novel in the modern world.

Outside of the pool that I swam (and regularly swim under the airborne toxic event across the river) at on the Linkeroever of Antwerp today, as I was unlocking my bike, I was listening to a commentary about a book that I need to look up about the ultimate emergence of technology into the world of a "world of its own" and not on a philosophical plane, but simply, it is coming to a theater near you, just that theater is your life, and what will we do when that day happens, and it will. Not in a James Cameron way (though that is highly plausible), but in a discreet, simply, suddenly Susan 3.0 kind of way.  I personally have a computer story about such an event that I hope does not manifest itself as it gives me the creeps to think about, making the Matrix and Terminator pale in comparison, trust me, though we are closer and closer to that image that I have in line more with Lev Stanislaus or Daniel Denett. Spoiler alert, I won't spoil the alert, but when I write it and post it, don't say I didn't tell you so...

Regardless, conversations about such things can make us uncomfortable. Conversations on a daily basis are usually so mundane and banal as to not even phase us, nor to turn our heads, nor such to make us wonder. However, my personal philosophy is that at least once a day you should have, initiate or engage in a conversation that does make you uncomfortable at some level. That is how I used to teach classes, whether yoga or in the actual "classroom." I have thousands of student witnesses if you think this was not a "presence" in my classes. We talked about very uncomfortable things, and not as shock value. Anyone can shock. Boring. Can you Engage? When I taught Yoga, we got into uncomfortable positions and had to find the Integrity of the Pose. However, most teachers don't engage, they just ask the students to do the heavy lifting, sit back, drink a coffee and wonder how they ever did it. I was never one of those teachers.

That is wrong on so many levels. If you engage, you must also engage.

If you are willing to ask another, whether a friend, student, lover, son, mother, father, or complete stranger to engage in a state of "Presence," then, it is Nobody's fault by your/my/his/her/their/our own and it is one that you better be able to follow through with with words, but more importantly, with a compassionate, though guided and if necessary, critiquing ear.

Know your audience. Sometimes, the audience is at fault sometimes the one who delivers. With "Presence," I find nothing wrong with the message, nor the delivery. It just didn't work with many. So, whose fault is it? Nobody's but mine. Take responsibility people.

I Triple-Dog Dare you not to watch this in its entirety. Look at Robert Plant's gaze at about 2:13, he is wondering what conversation he has engaged, that is my wager.


No comments:

Post a Comment