Asterix

*Be Sure to Click on the Link to See the VIDEO!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

I Touch Roses

Who wrote the Book of Love?

Going through some old CD's, I came across Book of Love recently. I remember listening to this as a cassette tape while living in The Woodlands in the summer of 1987 when I was down there training for swimming, trying to decide if I would in fact pursue a swimming career in college. We would swim for about 3 hours each morning, then again for 2-3 more in the murky Houston humidity. In between, I would go back to the home that I was staying at and put on my Walkman II (yes, a real one) and listen to a few cassettes that I had including this, Depeche Mode's Black Celebration, Kiss Alive II, Rush, Led Zepplin, and various random mixes that I had made, as if that was not random enough.

I never had the 45 of this song, but when I stumbled across the CD, then looked it up, thinking about my cassette, it was a natural progression to the 45 I guess.

That summer changed a lot for me, and is the subject of a novel I am currently revising. 25 years later, much has transpired, but the Book of Love still makes me smile. Like bands such as the Art of Noise and the Eurythmics, there is just something so patently 80s in all its quirkiness that does make one wonder that we ever made it through them.


No comments:

Post a Comment