Asterix

*Be Sure to Click on the Link to See the VIDEO!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thank You Terror

Although dear Alanis forever altered the word of "ironic" in our vocabulary in a very bad way, I have been a great admirer of her work for many years. She is daring, introspective, challenging, and above all an excellent singer and musician.

This song speaks directly to my situation here in India. I, too, have the feeling to say, "thank you India" for what I have already experienced in less than a month's time. It has been a maturing process and reality check that no books could have ever taught me, nor any surrogate experience of another's. It has been personal and life-altering.

However, given today's thoughts, I think the line, "thank you Terror" is no less appropriate. By no means do I want terror in our world, but it is there. There is no wishing it away, and how do you respond. I have written today about how a very special group of students responded ten years ago to the events of 9/11 as well as I how felt at times being in the Bologna Train Station, another site of a terrorist act.

Like Alanis, humanity is stripped down naked, exposed, vulnerable in times of attack. Throughout history, over Time and Space, no people has been excepted from this lot that humans seem to draw for themselves. Paralysis is one answer, creation another. I prefer the latter.

Thank you, Alanis.


No comments:

Post a Comment