Asterix

*Be Sure to Click on the Link to See the VIDEO!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why India? The Host of Seraphim

When I was teaching in an in situ study-abroad program for American students in a small Tuscan town, Castiglione Fiorentino in Italy, I taught a course called, "A Portrait of the Student in Exile." In this class, we explored stereotypes of both North Americans (there was a Canadian in the group) and Italy and preconceptions of what it would be like to live in Italy as a North American. Throughout the semester, we talked about various preconceptions of other countries and the world in general.

One of my students, the Canadian in fact, told me about the Koyanisqaatsi series of movies that were visual documentaries of the worlds around us, for better or for worse.

After I watched those, I was reminded of Baraka, a movie I had seen many years before and which was a similar format. Whereas the former were completely scored by Phillip Glass, Baraka had a multi-artist soundtrack.

Watching the movie again recently, this segment sticks out most vividly for me. It is also a part of India that I know I will see. It is part of our world as well.



Host of Seraphim


The most striking thing about this video for me is at about 2:00 minutes and the look that the two little girls give the camera. Words fail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment